Handheld Consoles, which to buy? VITA vs 3DS XL

ps vita nintendo 3ds gaming consoles handheld

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

blacksinow

blacksinow

• Banned
  • 451 posts
So I am considering getting a new handheld console, the PS VITA or the Nintendo 3DS XL. The point in which I've considered either for some time and I'm at a bit of an impass(sp?). So... I'm asking my fellow gamers out there, as to which is the better buy (most visually accessible graphics, best franchise games, etc). Any and all non-fanboy help is very much appreciated.
Cease and desist of lame comeback phrases.

NanoScream

NanoScream

Hazzuh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationSomewhere that is witty
I am no 'good' help to you since I hate nearly all forms of handheld gaming.

But your choice of Handheld device should reflect the type of games you want or your style of gaming. If you want Pokemon X, then get a 3DS, if not go with the VITA. If you want to kill some time, or have a casual gaming experience, go with the DS. :o

tumblr_mpu2s2rFTS1szx1oxo1_500.gif

A smart man will always let the female win, unless it's your sister, then you beat that bitch like a pinata.

Flïppy

Flïppy

Beep Boop

• Legacy Members
  • 4,505 posts
  • LocationDeutschländ
I agree, whenever there's a console discussion or someone asks me for advice I usually say that it depends on the games you want to play.

3DS has the Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem franchises, a Tales game, Kid Icarus, a pretty good Resident Evil and MGS, Dragon Quest, Ace Attourney and Monster Hunter coming up... and a huge library of DS games you can play, of course.

I don't have too much knowledge about the Vita, however.
There you got Uncharted, Little Big Planet or Disgaea for example... I'd list more games, but I don't know which ones are good on the Vita :P
"Hoffnung ist jetzt das schlimmste, was uns passieren kann."

Posted Image

KilljoyZero

KilljoyZero

• Banned
  • 856 posts
  • LocationUnder you bed watching you jerk it
Get a 3ds. Pokemon x and y are coming put on some months time

Posted Image
My Vent server, for your use!
kosgaming.typefrag.com:59110
password is pork.

DullBlade

DullBlade

"The Night"

• Legacy Members
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationNowhere
I'd say get a 3DS.

You should look into what games are coming into both consoles though and see which ones you are more interested with.

SteamID: DullBlade

Up for playing:

League of Legends, Borderlands 1 & 2, Torchlight II, Team Fortress 2, XCOM EU, Skullgirls, AoE II

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Questioning My Path

• Moderators
  • 14,427 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I vote 3DS, but agree that our votes should not influence your decision. Look at the games and (if you're into that sort of thing) the homebrew you can do on either.

CAD Reboot Survivor - November 7th, 2012 | First Forum Legend - January 11th, 2013 | First Forum Awardee - July 31st, 2013

The Law - October 31st, 2013 | OVER 9,000!!! - December 20th, 2013 | 10K+ February 4th, 2014

April Fool's Mastermind - April, 1st 2014 | FiH = Faith in Humanity | A Sleepy Story

If29DNO.jpg

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I've got a Vita, and I'll vouch for the platform heartily. The games selection right now is limited, but frankly with something like LittleBigPlanet on the Vita you essentially have infinite games and the tools to make your own. Multimedia functionality is excellent, and it's just an amazingly powerful handheld. If they can overcome the software lineup problems, it'll be the ultimate portable gaming system. Till then, there's still enough good games to keep anyone busy. Uncharted GA and LittleBigPlanet are the main killer apps for it. The future potential of the platform is what I've mostly banked on. With dual analog sticks, it's gonna be the only real option in a handheld for anyone who likes shooters. I have Black Ops for it, and it's.... alright-ish. Well made for a handheld FPS, missions are brief and the perfect length for a portable when you might only want to play in short bursts. Lacking in content, wooden characters, and basically all the flaws that have made the Call of Duty franchise such a pitiful cliche, but it does still give you the shooter experience. Controls are as intuitive and responsive as a console FPS, the thumbsticks have a truly impressive range of sensitivity. The main game though is LittleBigPlanet, and I can tell that this game alone could keep me happily occupied over the next year alone. It's like the Vita was made for LittleBigPlanet. The touchscreens are used to brilliant effect, both ingame and with creative tools to make your own levels.

The whole platform exudes an air of extremely high polish. It is a precision engineered device, designed purely for the most ideal translation of your console gaming experience into a handheld. For all intents and purposes, it is a handheld PS3.

Still, there IS that damn lack of software.... they need to get their asses in gear and start getting third parties producing content for this thing. The 2013 release schedule right now looks awfully sparse, with Killzone Mercenary being one of the only remotely interesting things I see on the horizon. I've heard Assassins Creed Liberation for it is pretty decent.

Oh, and I guess i am technically a Sony Fanboy.... just keep that in mind. Still, all the things i said about the platform are true. I really must stress the lack of software though. Unless you are totally cool with only having a half dozen or so really good games to pick from for at least a year, you might not find it an ideal platform.

Switch221

Switch221

Newfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I own both and like most have said it really depends on what kind of games you like to play. However personally I am enjoying my Vita much more than my 3DS. People say that the Vita does not have a lot of games, and that is true, but there are still loads of PS1 and PSP games available for download off the PSN store. If you have a PS3 you can play some of these without even having it loaded on your Vita by accessing your console through a wireless connection. That is another huge issue with the Vita, is the lack of internal memory. You'll have to spend an extra $50 for a decent sized SD card to fit in it so you can stick downloads onto it.

When it comes to the 3DS, it does everything the original DS did (except play GBA games) and more. This platform also does not have many games developed for it yet, although there are a lot of great titles coming this year. Personally I find the 3D function to be rather gimmicky, and I tend to turn it off. I've only played a few games specifically for the 3DS, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Bros., and Star Fox. For now it is just a replacement DS but I am looking forward to the new Pokemon as well as Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem. I'm pretty sure there's a Shin Megami Tensei game for it too I've been meaning to check out.

All in all, look at the games and decide which one would suit your preferences most.
  • Presea likes this

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I dunno about the lack of internal memory.... 8 GB seems like plenty of space for at least 3 large downloaded games and plenty of music and videos to keep you entertained well past the long battery life. Granted it's still not a lot by todays massive storage standards, but I guess I'm used to making the best out of very little space, hell it wasn't till 6 years ago that I graduated up from an 80 GB hard drive on my computer to 500 GB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question, ps vita, nintendo 3ds, gaming, consoles, handheld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users