path of exile poe

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

• Legacy Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationSydney
So after seeing Tim posting about this I thought i'd give it a whirl and the results have been amazing.

I've been playing with PK so far and it's reminding me of all the good times of Diablo II with friends but with touch ups that bring it to the modern age of gaming. In short; it's what I wanted Diablo III to be.

Anyone else been trying this out so far?

Maegorod

Maegorod

Prospect

• Legacy Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
I played in the stress test beta a few months ago and loved it (although there is a lot more stress on the servers now :P), so I'm definitely playing again now :)

I always begin in the hardcore league, as you don't lose your character when you die anyway, you just get degraded to the default league. My ranger already died, but my Templar is still alive at level 12 :D (yes that's low, but my personal record :P)

Get your hands up! Now!

Posted Image

flintlocke

flintlocke

• Legacy Members
  • 521 posts
I started playing yesterday, pretty cool game so far. Kinda tough. I'm a lvl 8 or 9 templar, but i think i'll go try other classes.

Bienvenue dans mon monde, je serai votre guide.

My battletag, for Diablo III and WoW : Hellparsley#1437

PZ5WGIl.gif

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

• Legacy Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationSydney
So far I like it a lot. I'd prefer there to be slightly less chests with slightly better chances of loot in the ones you do find compared to the hundreds currently that can be empty, but that's a minor niggle

blacksinow

blacksinow

• Banned
  • 451 posts
This game feels the same kind of love for the visually impaired, that Nazis feel for Jews. The minimap is terrible, there isn't enough visual accessibility that other, more successful titles in the genre possess. Besides that, the mechanics are fairly solid. It disgusts me, that after all this time, visually impaired gamers are still getting shafted. Sacred 1&2, Torchlight 1&2, Titan Quest, Diablo 1&2 and even Hellgate: London were welcoming for gamers with bad eyesight. And you know, it wouldn't be so bad, if I could turn the difficulty down a bit. Because it sucks finding the target that is attacking you, and dying for it. It always seems that Grinding Gears were more interested in getting PVP up and running, then adding visual accessibility.
  • flintlocke likes this
Cease and desist of lame comeback phrases.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

• Legacy Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationSydney
You do realise that you can hit Tab to expand the mini map right? it then takes up 70% of the screen and you can change the transparency in options.

blacksinow

blacksinow

• Banned
  • 451 posts
I love how everyone thinks that the transparency of the mini map is the problem. It is the way the map is designed, the transparency has nothing to do with it. -_-

If you do not have a visual impairment, then please do not assume that you can understand my problem. No offense meant.

VirlomiEntreri

VirlomiEntreri

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 2,598 posts
  • LocationAlabama
Tholcrist offered a solution to the problem. You didn't exactly go into any sort of detail about what the issue with the map is, and as such the default transparency of the map is an obvious starting point. Furthermore, how do you know he doesn't haven a visual impairment of some sort? I would have suggested the same thing as he did. And I do (well, should more than I do) wear glasses. So what about the map, even as full opacity, is it that is bad? It's reminiscent of the old Diablo I and II maps I think, and I like that.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/<-- Check out Star Citizen. Pledge!

blacksinow

blacksinow

• Banned
  • 451 posts
The map is too confusing, it looks poorly designed and I hated it in Diablo 2 as well. I kind've like Torchlight's map system more, since it feels better designed. I'm a perma-beta user, I can play the game, regardless of which stage of the beta that the game is in. Do you not think that I haven't heard the transparensy suggestion before?

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

• Legacy Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationSydney
Black the only reason I listed the transparency is because you specifically mentioned the Mini map in your first post, not issues with the map in general. I assumed (as many have it seems) that your issue was due to the small nature of the mini map and not because the detail of the map in general was not to your liking.

Obby

Obby

• Legacy Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
So I decided to try this out. It's pretty interesting so far. I made it to level 8 on a ranger.

First impressions: HOLY CRAP that has to be the largest and most windy skill tree I've ever seen. That should make for some really interesting builds and skills. It's really not that complicated, as instead of doing 5 points to one particular skill, you now have 5 different skills along a line that all do the same thing. So instead of having 5 points into one skill that increases your dex by 10 every point, you get 5 skills all in a row that each give 10 dex. There are a lot of branches along the way, though, so it's still going to be very complex.

I like how your skills are mostly granted by gems. It's different. I also like that you upgrade skills by using them, instead of them being granted to you for simply getting a certain level. Though, once the game actually goes live, I would hope that the cost to remove gems remains fairly low (or even remains free)... It would be pretty terrible to not be able to afford to transfer your gem that you spent all this time leveling to a new weapon.

I also like the orb idea for weapon transmutations. It seems to be a good way to get the items you want customized just for the way you want to play. Using these orbs and scrolls as currency instead of gold is a neat idea as well, that way everything remains fairly worthwhile and you don't end up with a currency that is only useful to value items.

The actual gameplay itself is nothing really striking. It's pretty similar to most other action RPGs, though a bit slower in its pacing. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

What I don't like:

It's not really a major negative, but the minimap is a little off. Too pixelated or something for my tastes. The game world looks good and really reminds me of D2 in terms of atmosphere, but the minimap just throws me off. Maybe I'll have to adjust the transparency settings to make it better.

The biggest negative: the community.

We get it. You hate D3. Congratulations. Every 30 seconds someone is shouting in chat about how PoE is so much better and everyone should hate D3 because fuck D3. Anyone who disagrees is shouted down as someone who is braindead or whatever. I'm used to rough banter and offensive language, it's just annoying that there seems to be this anti-Blizzard culture developing so strongly in the gaming community. Sure, D3 has problems. It is not the worst game ever made, nor are the developers of D3 worse than developmentally-challenged monkeys at designing a game. This conversation has been so pervasive that all other chat is drowned out and lost in the sea of D3 hate.

And if you do manage to find yourself in the brief lull between the circle jerk rounds, your questions either go unanswered or you are called a noob. It feels like the LoL community has migrated or something, it's ridiculous.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

• Legacy Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationSydney
Yeah I turned off the Global Chat, I don't need a constant stream of letters scrolling like the Matrix when i'm playing to distract me.

Obby

Obby

• Legacy Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
Oh wow I shouldn't have logged off. 18k people in the queue.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Maegorod

Maegorod

Prospect

• Legacy Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
I've played till level 24 now (HC Templar), and only once did I see someone mention D3 in the chat with no-one answering him :P And a lot of questions get asked and all of those are answered. Guess I'm just lucky then :) (Or it's because I play in the EU :P)

I also haven't seen any indication of implementing a fee to change gems, they seem to prefer a system where you can just change gems at will to suit the playstyle you want.

Get your hands up! Now!

Posted Image

Squishy

Squishy

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationIreland
I was playing as a Shadow, assuming that I could do a melee/ranged focused duel wield (didn't read up first), but that didn't pan out too well. Its hard to play Shadow without traps and lots of movement, which I didn't like so much. Going for a melee/ranged Duelist now and I'm really enjoying it so far. Would like to duel wield eventually but I found a badass two handed sword so I'm going with that till I can level up some more and get some duel wield skills.

The stability issues (especially today) have been a bit of a pain but the devs are fantastic at keeping players informed and it looks like they've isolated the biggest realm crash bug. Really liking how this game is panning out; much more involved than D3 or Torchlight. The gems and skill tree are pretty awesomely implemented.

blacksinow

blacksinow

• Banned
  • 451 posts
How in the hell is it better planned out then Torchlight 2? They spent a number of years perfecting the game, and people are STILL playing today. I'll admit, some weapons don't get enough attention, but they are doing an excellent job. The devs on this team though, all they care about is shitting on anyone with a visual impairment. You're okay to them, as long as you have 20/20 vision.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

• Legacy Members
  • 696 posts
  • LocationSydney
Black we get it, you have bad eye sight and the game doesn't cater to that. That doesn't negate PoE as a good game however, just not a good game for you.

At the end of the day this is a small dev team, who need to prioritise what they have money to accomplish, and getting a core game out that will satisfy a large portion of gamers is going to trump making a game with settings for visually impaired gamers when you're on a shoe string budget. I highly doubt they have a vendetta against visually impaired people like you're suggesting.

Squishy

Squishy

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationIreland

How in the hell is it better planned out then Torchlight 2? They spent a number of years perfecting the game, and people are STILL playing today. I'll admit, some weapons don't get enough attention, but they are doing an excellent job. The devs on this team though, all they care about is shitting on anyone with a visual impairment. You're okay to them, as long as you have 20/20 vision.

Grow up. It's a BETA; the game is not finished. They're letting people play the game now, in its unfinished state, to work on architectural issues. Cosmetic issues like color schemes for the visually impaired are late-priority in every software development cycle, particularly in games. There are hundreds of posts about it on the forums; the devs are clearly aware of it.

As for Torchlight; yeah, its a fun game. I like it; I still play it on occasion; I'm just not overly fond of the skill tree. PoE's has a lot more scope for really deep character customization, which I like more than the fairly linear tree's in Torchlight 2. Ideally I'd like to have a system like Skyrim's, but I suppose that makes less sense in a game like this.

kombin3

kombin3

Newfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
What I like most about this game, is that part of it does remind me of Diablo 2. I played D2 for years on end, which does get boring, but this is like version 2.0 in a way. The minimap is extremely reminescient of D2, and I love it for that personally. I like the skill system, but there is a level cap on gems. I had summon zombie capped out to where I could level it up, but it said required level 5, while I was a lowly four. So there is a level req in a way, I think I read someone above saying there wasn't, and I just wanted to clarify.

I haven't played too much of it, but I did get a shadow to level 8 on hardcore (seeing as there is absolutely no reason to not be hardcore at this time), and there was A LOT of banter going on in world chat, but I didn't see any sort of hate towards Blizzard, or Diablo 3 for that matter. Again, could just be the timing I was on, but it seems like a fun game I'll come back to once in awhile to keep tabs on to see how it progresses.

blacksinow

blacksinow

• Banned
  • 451 posts

Black we get it, you have bad eye sight and the game doesn't cater to that. That doesn't negate PoE as a good game however, just not a good game for you.

At the end of the day this is a small dev team, who need to prioritise what they have money to accomplish, and getting a core game out that will satisfy a large portion of gamers is going to trump making a game with settings for visually impaired gamers when you're on a shoe string budget. I highly doubt they have a vendetta against visually impaired people like you're suggesting.

The chances of Grinding Gears making the game more visually accessible (Monsters easier to identify, etc) is nill and will likely never happen. These types of changes, no company ever bothers with. And Runic is a small company as well, who so happened to have their game published by perfect world. While that may seem impressive, it really isn't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pc, path of exile, poe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users