tanks online f2p

• Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

Tindertwig

Tindertwig

• Legacy Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationFlorida
World of Tanks is the current game I keep going back to. It's great for playing for 10 minutes or all day. One thing I like about it is that it is deceptively simple. You basically just drive you tanks and shoot other tanks, but you also need to understand the capabilities of the tank you are driving and the weak spots on the tank you are shooting. You also need to understand things like penetration values, going hull down, angling your armor, flanking and proper use of cover and concealment.

This weekend they are celebrating Veterans Day. With that you will get 5x XP for your first win of the day and the B1, T-34, M4 Sherman and Tiger will get a +100% credit bonus. Also, they are giving away a bonus code for a free day of Premium which will let you earn +50% Credit and +50% XP.

Edit: For anyone interested or even people currently playing, I suggest watching these two videos that explain some of the game mechanics.

• Risk and BDNeon like this

Formerly Abyssaldeath

signature.png

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
If you can listen to the math bits of the Penetration mechanics vid without your brain hurting, you officially impress me.

So apparently 8.2 is doing chinese tanks, which I am somewhat less then thrilled about, since nearly all of the "chinese" tanks will be glorified reskins of other nations tank designs since China didn't start actually creating their own tank designs till far after the time period of this game, relying on license production of soviet designs until that time.

But it's just a new tree to go down, and as long as it doesn't draw effort away from the nations that DID field a decent number of tanks in this time period, such as the Italians and Swedes, then no harm done.

Still, the sooner I get my mitts on the Semovente Da 90/53, the happier I'll be. That thing had an EVIL gun.

Posted Image

Edit: Oh, also, don't forget you can enter the Golden Joystick code GGWP for 3 days of premium and it can stack with the 1 day you get from this veterans day code. The golden joystick code expires in 72 hours.
  • kelarius likes this

kelarius

kelarius

• Legacy Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationSomeplace you are not.
Im not sold on the Chinese tanks either, especially considering that they lumped at least the Chi-Ha in there too (a japanese tank). What do any of these tanks have over their Soviet originals?

As far as the Italians go, I didn't think they had crap for decent tank designs. Yeah they had the aforementioned 90mm gun which even put the german 88 to shame but they didnt have anything to mount it to for the most part.
I lurk, therefore I am.

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Actually, I did address that question on the WoT forums.

http://forum.worldof...n-italian-tanks

Even early in the war in Africa they had the effective 47mm "Bohler gun" that was mounted on their M13/40 tank, which was handily capable of punching holes in most allied tanks save the slow Matildas and Valentines, while the British 2 Pounder guns were of dubious worth against even the Italian tanks at anything but point blank range.

Also they did have some impressive medium tanks on the table at the end of 1943 including the Carro Armato P40 which managed to reach production status and were working on an improved P43 tank with even better armor and the 90mm gun.

kelarius

kelarius

• Legacy Members
  • 560 posts

Also they did have some impressive medium tanks on the table at the end of 1943 including the Carro Armato P40 which managed to reach production status and were working on an improved P43 tank with even better armor and the 90mm gun.

I dont think I would refer to the P40 as "impressive", it was merely competetive with contemporary medium designs in use by the other major powers at that time (m4, pzkpfw 4, T-34). It had comparable armor and armament but was severely lacking in suspension (still based off of 1930s designs) and didnt even have a commander's cupolla, he had to fight unbuttoned or through a periscope.

And none of that really matters anyways since the Italians had actually designed it as their "heavy" tank (thats what the P stands for), not so much heavy in design but in use, they planned on using it in much the same way as the Brittish used their Infantry tanks, spread out amongst their formations piece-meal. All in all it was a really crappy design for the time, a full year (or longer) after other nations had fielded tanks that were vastly better.

The P43 may have been competitive with Tiger/Pershing/IS2 had it come to pass with the 90mm gun and a bit more armor, but they were only talking about it in 1943 and to my knowledge never really had much on the table beyond that, so I dont know where WG would take an italian tree after Tier 7.
  • BDNeon likes this
I lurk, therefore I am.

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Admittedly yes, Tier 7 is probably the upper limit of Italian tanks, which is why I don't think they would warrant their own standalone tree. However the devs have discussed the possibility of a pan-european tree incorporating czech, hungarian, swedish etc designs that could include a fair number of the Italian tanks.

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Figured I'd bump this thread with a hilarious screenshot I capped in my TOG.

Posted Image

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Cadsanova

• Moderators
  • 13,797 posts
  • LocationIllinois

CHOO CHOO!!

You guys sure are serious about your tanks.

CAD Reboot Survivor - November 7th, 2012 | First Forum Legend - January 11th, 2013 | First Forum Awardee - July 31st, 2013

The Law - October 31st, 2013 | OVER 9,000!!! - December 20th, 2013 | 10K+ February 4th, 2014

April Fool's Mastermind - April, 1st 2014 | FiH = Faith in Humanity | A Sleepy Story

7/25/14 - 10/25/14: I'm clearly going to breeze through this like it was nothing

Terraria Server: 50.83.203.208:7777

If29DNO.jpg

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
There's something delightful about the TOGs ability to lower the inhibitions of everyone in the match merely by its presence.

kelarius

kelarius

• Legacy Members
  • 560 posts
I guess there's something about the most hideous tank in the game that makes everyone go full retard. Personally whenever I see one I just think "JUCIY TARGET!" and go to town.

On another note, anyone that has a Tier X tank in their garage on Jan 10 and has played 10 battles within the last week will get a free Tshirt from WoT. I just finally ground out the last 40k exp I needed for my T110E5 to make sure I got one. WOOHOOO!

Also, T110E5 kicks ass, major improvement over the M103. Now back to working on my brit medium line, I want that Centurion!
I lurk, therefore I am.

Risk

Risk

• Legacy Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationLouisville
I heard if you pour salt on a TOG it'll shrivel up and die.

I spotted a BDNeon about a week ago when I was sloshed in general chat.

-

I've been playing for a couple of months. The videos in the OP are what finally convinced me to try it. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but my game is improving bit by bit:

Posted Image

I love my little Jagdpanzer IV. It's my money maker. I picked up the Jagdpanther, ended up selling that clunky pos within a week and re-retraining the crew for the IV.

STEALTH TANK HOOOOOO!

Posted Image

The Jumbo is a HELL of a lot of fun too.

kelarius

kelarius

• Legacy Members
  • 560 posts
Jagdpanther fully upgraded with the 105 and the top engine is a beast, well able to hit above it's weight. It's first and foremost a sniper and with that naildriver of an end gun does so extremely well. Until you get the top gun on it it's kinda weak but once you do I bet you will love it. Give it another shot
I lurk, therefore I am.

Risk

Risk

• Legacy Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationLouisville
I guess I was expecting the Jagpanther to be a significant improvement over the Jagpanzer in shot damage and pene with the 10.5, but after factoring in bounces, I was spending a pretty significant amount of money on ammo without a whole lot to show for it.

kelarius

kelarius

• Legacy Members
  • 560 posts

I guess I was expecting the Jagpanther to be a significant improvement over the Jagpanzer in shot damage and pene with the 10.5, but after factoring in bounces, I was spending a pretty significant amount of money on ammo without a whole lot to show for it.

Welcome to higher tier tanks. Ammo is expensive and you're gonna need to learn to aim for weakspots to be successful. In general, aim for the lowest point on the hull, armor tends to be weakest there, if thats not available aim for teh commander's cuppola (if there is one) or any viewport. If all else fails dont forget that (in default settings) your aiming reticle is an AP indicator, if its green that means that you have a decent chance of penetrating the target (although it doesnt take sloping into account), so you can always just look around on the tank for something to turn green and shoot there.
I lurk, therefore I am.

Risk

Risk

• Legacy Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationLouisville
I'm thinking about grabbing the JP again, if only because the Ferdi seems to be such a battlefield presence Aside from the ammo cost, the big drop in stealth ability was a bit of a turn off for me, especially since the frontal armor really isn't any better. Ferdi looks like fun though, and I want a big gun. At the moment I'm playing around on my T20.

I can't help but read guides, and it was apparent this game is not a run and gun type. Weakspots are pretty standard on most tanks (lower glacius plate as a general rule for German, straight down the barrel for many Sov HTs, machine gun ports and so on). I still get some impossible bounces at times, and as a TD feel it should happen as often as it does.

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I recently got my mitts on the T2 Light Tank for the Americans, they were giving em out as a facebook promotion from Logitech. By the time I got off my shift and tried to mention it on the forums for you guys they were already out of keys :( .

Gnarly little scrapper of a tank though, just like the T1E6. I just don't get why anyone would sell the T1E6, or any premium tank for that matter. All you get from selling them is credits, not gold. You can't rebuy them with credits, and with the promo giveaway tanks, you can't rebuy them PERIOD. Yet people still brag "Oh yeah, I sold that stupid tank soon as it was added". Seriously? You just know a few months down the line they'll be moaning about how they made such a mistake. I saw the same thing happen with the Tetrarch.

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Cadsanova

• Moderators
  • 13,797 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I recently got my mitts on the T2 Light Tank for the Americans, they were giving em out as a facebook promotion from Logitech. By the time I got off my shift and tried to mention it on the forums for you guys they were already out of keys :( .

Gnarly little scrapper of a tank though, just like the T1E6. I just don't get why anyone would sell the T1E6, or any premium tank for that matter. All you get from selling them is credits, not gold. You can't rebuy them with credits, and with the promo giveaway tanks, you can't rebuy them PERIOD. Yet people still brag "Oh yeah, I sold that stupid tank soon as it was added". Seriously? You just know a few months down the line they'll be moaning about how they made such a mistake. I saw the same thing happen with the Tetrarch.

Load main cannon, aim, fire. That's your response to those idiots.

Also, please continue talking about this game. I seriously love the tank talk and if you guys keep at it I'm liable to get myself into it... but right now I just don't have the motivation.

Living vicariously has been fun. More tank train pics would be nice too :D

CAD Reboot Survivor - November 7th, 2012 | First Forum Legend - January 11th, 2013 | First Forum Awardee - July 31st, 2013

The Law - October 31st, 2013 | OVER 9,000!!! - December 20th, 2013 | 10K+ February 4th, 2014

April Fool's Mastermind - April, 1st 2014 | FiH = Faith in Humanity | A Sleepy Story

7/25/14 - 10/25/14: I'm clearly going to breeze through this like it was nothing

Terraria Server: 50.83.203.208:7777

If29DNO.jpg

Risk

Risk

• Legacy Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationLouisville
I sold my t1e6. Not that I hated the tank or anything, I just didn't need it since I've already got a half dozen tanks I'm somewhat active with. I hope we get to keep the extra tank slot.

But right now, besides a round for the daily bonuses, I'm mainly running on my T20 and Jumbo Sherman. The T20 is ideal, it has everything I was looking forward to when I set out to play a medium. The Jumbo Sherman is my new favorite, I only lack about 10k to elite. I'll probably pick up the T29 too, because the sound a bounce makes is very satisfying, and that thing is a steel wall in hull down.

kelarius

kelarius

• Legacy Members
  • 560 posts
American mediums (except the T26E4 and jumbo) all play alike, they're nimble flankers with good guns and usually mediocre armor. I loved my time in the T20, that thing can put the hurt on just about anything it comes up against, often without the target knowing what the hell is going on.

As for the T29, just watch out for arty,being hull down usually means being stationary and there's nothing an SPG player loves more than a sitting target. Also, if you like the T29, wait till you get the T32, it's absolutely made of WIN. My best game ever is still on the T32, almost an entire year later.

I did sell my T1E6 and tetrarch, not because i hated them so much as I just dont enjoy playing low tier light battles that much. When I do I think I'd rather roll in my British cruisers rather than that anyways, that pompom is absolutely DEADLY at tier 2.

Lastly, I cant quite tell but did they introduce an SPG hard cap at tier 9-10? I heard some rumors that they were going to limit it to 4 or 5 a while ago to combat the 7-9 arty parties that were nearly constant at that tier but didnt remember seeing an announcement about it, now I cant recall seeing one of those matches in a couple of weeks.
I lurk, therefore I am.

BDNeon

BDNeon

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
There was an official announcement on the website news feed a few weeks back, after a maintenance period on their servers, a hard cap of 5 SPGs per match was ostensibly put in place, along with the disclaimer that they were not ruling out the possibility of lowering the cap further. However, I have heard some instances of exceptions to this, it mainly seems to happen when there is a prolonged shortage of players for a certain tier bracket but a surplus of SPG users, whereupon the matchmaker will after a long enough wait put more SPGs per team then 5 in the battle.

Hey, how many of you guys qualified for the free Tier X T-shirt? I managed to save up enough for my T110E5 with just a few days to spare.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pc, tanks, online, f2p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users