1198 replies to this topic

Seige

Seige

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationScone NSW Australia

I'm still working the M44 and the Hummel, looking forward to the changes in the upcoming 9.18 patch.

Blizzard Battletag : Shads#6352

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationSydney

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the SPG balances are to make them more useful in Frontlines when that eventually drops.

• Seige likes this

kelarius

kelarius

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1229 posts
  • LocationSomeplace you are not.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the SPG balances are to make them more useful in Frontlines when that eventually drops.

That and to try and appease the massive amount of players that find SPGs to be unbalanced.

I lurk, therefore I am.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationSydney

That and to try and appease the massive amount of players that find SPGs to be unbalanced.

While i'm sure that's a sub plot, they've been unbalanced since inception pretty much :P  I feel the timing is interesting in that we are now getting a mode that's going to be semi long/protracted battles and you now have a piece that can debuff enemies to help try and move them out of strong points.

I do feel they're going to be nerfed a bit before live though, as some of the really big caliber's can still in essence one shot tanks which is now counter to the idea they want.

I don't understand the upcoming mini nerf to the Tier X Light Tanks.

Like sure you're concerned they're doing too close a damage to Mediums, but how does making the scout more blind help offset this 0_o

Vn70072

Vn70072

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Unfortunately I don't think Wargaming has quite known what to do with light tanks for a while now. For years their only real advantages compared to medium tanks a tier higher is camouflage and top speed. Mediums usually have nearly or as much view range, have enough acceleration to only lose out to lights' mobility in cross-map dashes, and are better in every other category. Basically now WG's test server nerf was to force people to still use binocculars or optics on their light tanks instead of feeling free to install more combat oriented equipment like vents or rammer.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationSydney

Unfortunately I don't think Wargaming has quite known what to do with light tanks for a while now. For years their only real advantages compared to medium tanks a tier higher is camouflage and top speed. Mediums usually have nearly or as much view range, have enough acceleration to only lose out to lights' mobility in cross-map dashes, and are better in every other category. Basically now WG's test server nerf was to force people to still use binocculars or optics on their light tanks instead of feeling free to install more combat oriented equipment like vents or rammer.

I don't play lights so my care factor is moderately low, but I care in the sense of it doesn't seem like they know where to take the balancing of all the tanks currently outside of "We want Mediums to do lots of damage per second".

Vn70072

Vn70072

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

I don't play lights so my care factor is moderately low, but I care in the sense of it doesn't seem like they know where to take the balancing of all the tanks currently outside of "We want Mediums to do lots of damage per second".

I can't really disagree with that. Every time they try to change the paradigm to what they think they want it doesn't seem to work as planned, and either accomplishes nothing or simply moves the problem.

Seige

Seige

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1520 posts

I don't play lights at lot of the time because I get too bloody impatient at the start of the battles and get myself killed because I was in a  passive scouting spot and choose to start shooting at tank I can see. So my progress with my M41 Bulldog and my AMX12t is a bit slower than it could / should be.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationSydney
And the patch is apparently now live on the NA servers

Seige

Seige

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1520 posts

Can not get the game to load at all with the new patch, I'm not running any mods at all, I tried to do a repair via the settings in the launcher and everything is fine. The loading screen comes up showing the 9.18 etc etc version then dumped back to the desktop without any error screens. I'll have to uninstall and then reinstall etc tonight after I get home from work.

Sigh.

Seige

Seige

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1520 posts

Uninstalled and reinstalled, problem fixed but nfi what the problem was to begin with.

I like the stun effect coming from the Arty perspective as well as it showing how long you have left on reloading when you click T to target an area/enemy vehicle, but I am yet to experience it from the other end of the shell so to speak.

Slightly miffed that I bought the auto loader gun for the M41 Bulldog pre patch 9.18 ( and subsequently sold the non auto loading top 76mm gun ) so now I will have to repurchase it as they buffed the non auto loader 76mm.

What do you guys think of the new changes?

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationSydney
I haven't had a chance to play yet since the patch dropped. Good to hear though that SPG life is a touch nicer though

kelarius

kelarius

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1229 posts

I'm done with World of Warships, I'm sick to death with the standard of play, especially when I can get on (the weekends).

I lurk, therefore I am.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationSydney

I feel like i'm some what crazy for thinking that WG's changes to removing a lot of weak spots on Heavy tanks has less to do with "Yay lets make them spam Gold ammo!" and possibly more to do with trying to actually make it a combined attack game and less "I shall carry the team on my back 14 kills huzzah!".

I'm not saying they aren't making some of the premium tanks OP on release, but that's just power creep and has been a problem for a while.  But specifically in relation to the whole "remove weak points, buff heavy tank frontal armour" I look at that more as a way to try and force people to need to flank hull down heavies versus aiming for a single spot and negating an entire tank class. 

Vn70072

Vn70072

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

I can understand trying to make armor actually mean something. It can be annoying when a heavy gets bottom tiered (which granted, ought to happen less extremely with the new MM), when a KV-5 gets R2 shot over and over, or when someone invokes "I have pressed mine two key, thine armor is invalid!"

But I don't think that approach works in a vacuum. If tanks are going to have to flank heavies in order to damage them, then care needs to be taken that such tanks actually have the ability and opportunity to do so, both in their own characteristics such as speed, acceleration, turning, gun handling, ect., as well as the maps actually affording players an avenue to attack from another direction. Between actual obstacles like impassable mountains and buildings, along with wide-open kill zones where someone hiding in the back is just waiting for you to try and go through there, maps can sometimes end up claustrophobic.

Seige

Seige

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1520 posts

I'm not a huge fan of using premium shells, in fact I rarely use them honestly, because if I can not pen an opposing tank from the approach I have made then I'll back away where I can and approach from another angle.

But when all else fails I'll just try to track them so other players can hit them instead.

Tholcrist

Tholcrist

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1293 posts
  • LocationSydney

I don't think i've ever fired premium ammo (at least on purpose), but that's because I don't run premium and would like a chance of making a profit >_>

Seige

Seige

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1520 posts

I usually keep 5 premium shells for those moment when you absolutely need to pen a target.

kelarius

kelarius

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1229 posts

Depending on the vehicle I tend to load about 5-20% of my ammo as premium. I very rarely every use it though, I find that if I'm in a situation where I need premium ammo I should reposition because in the tanks I play, generally the premium ammo isn't going to be better enough to power through whatever armor I'm shooting at.

I lurk, therefore I am.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pc, tanks, online, f2p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users