Teacher Gets Fired For Taking Sick Student To Hospital and Paying for The Bill

- - - - - teacher sick student hospital school fired wtf? tennessee

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Player #7

Player #7

• Legacy Members
  • 936 posts

A Tennessee teacher Jennifer Mitts says she was forced to resign from her post at Red Bank High School after taking a student to the emergency room and footing the bill.

http://www.huffingto...kushpmg00000016

So remember kids, if someone that is very sick needs your help, do not take them to the Hospital, or the @$$holes you work for will fire you for doing the right thing. :(

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

NanoScream

NanoScream

Hazzuh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • LocationSomewhere that is witty
This shit is really getting out of hand..
  • Player #7 likes this

tumblr_mpu2s2rFTS1szx1oxo1_500.gif

A smart man will always let the female win, unless it's your sister, then you beat that bitch like a pinata.

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 3,140 posts
  • LocationArkham Assisted Living Center & Shoggoth Refuge

I wonder what was wrong with the kid.   I also wonder what her other reprimands were for... this wasn't the first time, apparently, that her "good intentions" had caused her to run afoul of the school's fear of litigation.  It's less a comment on the school being assholes than it is on a society where no good deed goes unpunished.  Litigation from parents is a thing, and most towns can't afford that kind of crap. 

What she did was a kind and generous thing and depending on the reason for taking the kid to the hospital it might not have been appropriate to call 911. I can't think of any situation where it would be more appropriate to take a kid to the hospital myself rather than calling 911, simply because they're equipped to handle damn near any situation in transit and I'm not.  But just because I can't think of one, doesn't mean there aren't any.  Suicidal ideation, maybe.  Depending on their mental space, if calling 911 would make the situation worse... that's about the only potential exception I can think of right now.

Ultimately, this is about strapped town and school budgets being unable to afford a lawsuit.  It sucks, but I can understand the rationale.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Maybe we should make a universal rule that teal is now the sarcasm colour.

JTheOverlord

JTheOverlord

On a mission of love

• Members
  • 4,325 posts

Tarnagh has a point. But then again I didn't read the article, I'm just trying to regain my position as overlord.

• Kris likes this

"In the totem pole of life, you can't know what could be if you never set your stone." - Some old lady on the Flobots "Fight With Tools" album.

The Daemos Chronicles: Advent Light 

Lawson

Lawson

• Legacy Members
  • 248 posts
I have no issues with this. Multiple warnings, suspensions, if you cant take the hint and follow policy, I wouldn't want you working for me either.

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 3,140 posts

I have no issues with this. Multiple warnings, suspensions, if you cant take the hint and follow policy, I wouldn't want you working for me either.

That's kind of where I find myself as well.  Like I said before, lawsuits are a real thing that towns and schools have to worry about.  Even if her intentions are good, that makes her a liability.  Does it suck? Absolutely.  But that's the world we live in.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Reality Deconstructed

• Moderators
  • 13,137 posts
  • LocationIllinois

So there's this thing called a phone and this other thing called an ambulance. I hear in some countries you can use one to summon the other. Then, and this part is unclear to me, you end up at the hospital.

I wonder if she could have done that instead.
  • mikebuttersbee likes this

CAD Reboot Survivor - November 7th, 2012 | First Forum Legend - January 11th, 2013 | First Forum Awardee - July 31st, 2013

The Law - October 31st, 2013 | OVER 9,000!!! - December 20th, 2013 | 10K+ February 4th, 2014

April Fool's Mastermind - April, 1st 2014 | FiH = Faith in Humanity | A Sleepy Story

7/25/14 - 10/25/14: I'm clearly going to breeze through this like it was nothing

Terraria Server: 50.83.203.208:7777

If29DNO.jpg

zerocnc

zerocnc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Teacher got fired for taking a kid to a hospital to be cured by modern science instead by a preacher with a bible which lie within kid's beliefs. On grounds for removal.
PiltoversFinest_zpsa3eba94e.jpgyoutubeSig_zps377ac3a8.pngTwitch_zps80160af7.png

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Reality Deconstructed

• Moderators
  • 13,137 posts
  • LocationIllinois

No, the teacher resigned because she did something stupid. She could have taken the suspension. You don't transport children in your car without express permission. It's just not done.
  • Bisected8 and Lawson like this

CAD Reboot Survivor - November 7th, 2012 | First Forum Legend - January 11th, 2013 | First Forum Awardee - July 31st, 2013

The Law - October 31st, 2013 | OVER 9,000!!! - December 20th, 2013 | 10K+ February 4th, 2014

April Fool's Mastermind - April, 1st 2014 | FiH = Faith in Humanity | A Sleepy Story

7/25/14 - 10/25/14: I'm clearly going to breeze through this like it was nothing

If29DNO.jpg

Kris

Kris

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationDeliciously British
Eh small town like mine with a couple of teachers that I knew well and trusted it's not that uncommon to be given a lift.

Tindertwig

Tindertwig

• Legacy Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Mitts reportedly took an ill 20-year-old student, who did not have health insurance, to the emergency room, according to area news station WTVC-TV.

The student was 20 and didn't have insurance. This wasn't a child and the previous time she had done it she had the parents permission.

• NanoScream likes this

Formerly Abyssaldeath

signature.png

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Reality Deconstructed

• Moderators
  • 13,137 posts
  • LocationIllinois

The student was 20 and didn't have insurance. This wasn't a child and the previous time she had done it she had the parents permission.

Only read the first article. Didn't realize the kid was 20. Why the shit is a 20 year old still in highschool?

Also, she left a classroom unattended among other things. Again. Phone. Ambulance. Common sense. Why did she not employ any of these things?

If29DNO.jpg

Tindertwig

Tindertwig

• Legacy Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Only read the first article. Didn't realize the kid was 20. Why the shit is a 20 year old still in highschool?

Also, she left a classroom unattended among other things. Again. Phone. Ambulance. Common sense. Why did she not employ any of these things?

I don't know what time of day this happened so the classroom thing is pretty valid, but Ambulances are really expensive if you don't have insurance. I have been to the emergency room a few times and an ambulance wasn't worth the hassle. 

Formerly Abyssaldeath

signature.png

Kris

Kris

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationDeliciously British

Also depends on the injury, I wouldn't call an ambulance for a broken arm but I wouldn't mind someone driving me to the hospital for it.

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Reality Deconstructed

• Moderators
  • 13,137 posts
  • LocationIllinois

She had a 105 fever and was pregnant and had some other stuff going on. I would have called an ambulance for her if I were that teacher. Start a fundraiser to pay off the ambulance bill.

Also, if the teachers concern was simply the money there, so have someone else give her a ride? Excuse another student and have them take her?

If29DNO.jpg

mikebuttersbee

mikebuttersbee

Bad-ass Butters-bee

• Legacy Members
  • 2,310 posts

I don't know what time of day this happened so the classroom thing is pretty valid, but Ambulances are really expensive if you don't have insurance. I have been to the emergency room a few times and an ambulance wasn't worth the hassle. 

500$ at least here that is what it is 

Bottom line, teacher left her job, with a child and went to a hospital while she was supposed to be at work...

I bet the school had a nurse, or a phone that could summon an ambulance (as others have said). 

To be honest it just sounds like someone wanting attention 

S4WI8.jpg

DIES TO HALF-MEN

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 3,140 posts

To be honest it just sounds like someone wanting attention 

Not sure I'd go that far.  Everyone reacts differently to an emergency situation.  She may have felt that something needed to be done NOW and there wasn't time to wait for EMS to arrive, and just did what seemed the right thing to do at the time and damn the consequences to herself.  I've got somewhat the same attitude, so I could see how that might apply here. 

That said, knowing I'd received disciplinary action in the past I would be expecting disciplinary action for this and accept that this is something that was going to happen to me.  Choices & consequences.

A 20 year old pregnant woman with a fever of 105?  Here's what I'd be doing: Call 911, call the cafeteria for ice, assign a couple of students to get a LOT of wet paper towels from the bathroom, and pack her heat points to try and reduce the fever til EMS could get there.  The longer she stays with a fever that high, the more likely she's going to have brain cells die.  That would be more beneficial than using that time to drive her to the ER and not attending to that dangerously high fever.

But again, everyone reacts differently.  It's entirely possible she just panicked.

• PixelOrange likes this

NanoScream

NanoScream

Hazzuh!

• Members
  • 3,765 posts
  • LocationSomewhere that is witty
If I may interject here, the pregnant girl was underage as the article states the teacher was given permission by her parents.

Also if people like this 20 year old and an underage pregnant girl reflects anything, it has to be that this is a very bad school with little or no regard for it's students, so relying on the staff is virtually impossible.

And if EMS service there is like it is here you're better off crawling to the hospital.

*ahem* carry on.
  • Tindertwig likes this

tumblr_mpu2s2rFTS1szx1oxo1_500.gif

A smart man will always let the female win, unless it's your sister, then you beat that bitch like a pinata.

PixelOrange

PixelOrange

Reality Deconstructed

• Moderators
  • 13,137 posts
  • LocationIllinois

If I may interject here, the pregnant girl was underage as the article states the teacher was given permission by her parents.

Also if people like this 20 year old and an underage pregnant girl reflects anything, it has to be that this is a very bad school with little or no regard for it's students, so relying on the staff is virtually impossible.

And if EMS service there is like it is here you're better off crawling to the hospital.

*ahem* carry on.

I'm even more confused than I was before. I thought the 20 year old was the pregnant one.

Regardless, the parents are not the teacher's management. She can't get a permission slip to skip out on work. She should have arranged for someone to watch her class in the event of a medical emergency.

In the end, I think she did the morally right thing, but I think she could have handled it about a dozen better ways.

If29DNO.jpg

Drakill Tannan

Drakill Tannan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

I'm guessing she didn't call the ambulance because it (probably) was a poor-district school, and knew the student couldn't afford it.

Honestly, the american healthcare system is barbaric. It's heartless to charge people for medicine like that.

• Tindertwig and NanoScream like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: -fih, teacher, sick, student, hospital, school, fired, wtf?, tennessee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users