• Please log in to reply
19853 replies to this topic

boa

boa

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3831 posts

It depends on the "hill". For example, if the route is classified as this, you better know what you are doing. And yes, it is an achievement to get through one of those.

Some routes require climbing skills of minor levels of difficulty

So basically even a low level climber can climb those.

How is that an achievement?

Even almost any idiot can climb the mountains of Nepal, they have sherpas that will train the fuck out of anyone if paid enough.

Hiking is like running a marathon, sure it might seem like a unique experience but everyone is doing it and it's really not that unique or hard.

People buy way too much into the commercial brainwashing going on to sell them hiking/marathon crap.

It's like crossfit, everybody and their goddamn mother is doing it because they see other people doing it. Sheep go baaaah

Battlenet: lIlIlIIllIll#1749

Hex: Westeros

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 6417 posts
  • LocationA German in Switzerland

Even almost any idiot can climb the mountains of Nepal, they have sherpas that will train the fuck out of anyone if paid enough.

Hiking is like running a marathon, sure it might seem like a unique experience but everyone is doing it and it's really not that unique or hard.

People buy way too much into the commercial brainwashing going on to sell them hiking/marathon crap.

It's like crossfit, everybody and their goddamn mother is doing it because they see other people doing it. Sheep go baaaah

Hiking is much more individual then marathons or crossfit because every route is highly individual, with its own challenges and dangers. For example, not considering the weather on an alpine route is madness, while it is harmless regarding marathons or crossfit.

"Minor difficulty" in this case means that the climbing is quite challenging for laypersons. The UIAA is about actual mountaineering. I just looked it up, categories I and II (the "minor difficulties" stated above) can be done without a rope, though a rope is recommended for beginners. Category III already is the last one that pros are supposed to try without a rope.

Besides, other parts, like steep grassland or boulder fields, are often more dangerous than the climbing , for slipping can take you down a cliff.

The route is never fortified and often only sporadically marked, so that you have to orient, too.

Overall, it is more dangerous than having a Sherpa babysit you up the Mount Everest, for you will nearly always be on a rope in latter tour and never be at risk to lose your way.

I don't know, Boa. It certainly seems respectable to me. Which kind of sports do you respect?

"The Germans dive deeper – but they come up muddier"

Wickham Steed

Kris

Kris

Deliciously British

• Legacy Members
  • 2783 posts
  • LocationThe North

A good friend of mine who was an experienced climber died when coming down from a mountain, they are dangerous and should be treated with respect.

boa

boa

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 3831 posts

I don't know, Boa. It certainly seems respectable to me. Which kind of sports do you respect?

Why must I respect modern day commercialized sports?

A good friend of mine who was an experienced climber died when coming down from a mountain, they are dangerous and should be treated with respect.

Then you should probably be opposed to the massive number of inexperienced or wannabee climbers, right?

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 6417 posts

Hiking is one of the least commercialized sports. Sure, you can buy expensive equipment, but you normally don't need it and nobody is like to judge you for it. The shoes are the only real investment, but many routes can also be done with inferior shoes if the weather is nice enough. You also don't pay for using the tracks. So, what's commercialized about it?

Wickham Steed

Gewalt

Gewalt

Newfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGermany

I may be mistaken here, but I think Axeman tried to ask you if there is a particular sport that you like :)

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/zecretbo/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 47

MotherKat

MotherKat

Imzadi

• Members
  • 3479 posts
  • LocationLand of Oz
Boa doesn't like anything :P but I get the impression, generally, that it's not the sport (or whatever) that he opposes, but the people doing said sport. Nobody likes a braggart.
  • boa likes this

Steam: katiet518  Zynga: Motherkat518

up for playing: Wildstar, starcraft, minecraft, diablo 3, titanfall, LoL

my vanilla Minecraft server: 209.15.212.226:26765

Vent server:173.192.87.34 port 10195 pw pathfinder  ---feel free to use this for whatever you want!

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 6417 posts

Well, I know he likes/liked fencing and is a braggart about it at times. ;)

Wickham Steed

witsd

witsd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 3253 posts
  • Location– It could be Rotherham, or anywhere.

Fencing involving swords or fencing involving selling stolen goods (possibly swords)?
Every passing hour brings the solar system 43 000 miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules – and there are still some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

63.15%

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 6417 posts

Fencing involving swords or fencing involving selling stolen goods (possibly swords)?

The first for fun, the second for a living maybe.

Wickham Steed

boa

boa

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 3831 posts

The difference is I did fencing for over a decade before feeling confident enough in my skills to be a braggart.

Climbing a goddamn hill or running for a few miles doesn't take skill, anyone with a few brain cells can figure it out if they pay attention and learn to watch where they step.

Fencing is the equivalence of chess when it comes to the level of skill people that have trained for a long time have.

Hiking and marathons are the equivalence of playing solitaire, sure there might be some technically more challenged levels, but they're still playing solitaire.

Hiking is one of the least commercialized sports. Sure, you can buy expensive equipment, but you normally don't need it and nobody is like to judge you for it. The shoes are the only real investment, but many routes can also be done with inferior shoes if the weather is nice enough. You also don't pay for using the tracks. So, what's commercialized about it?

Hiking is actually pretty damn commercialized.

http://www.wsj.com/a...rest-1400780100

Not to even get started on all the specialty food sold towards hikers and even the clothing lines they produce.

To me hiking has become less about finding nature than it has become about doing the next trendy thing. People are bandwagoning like the fucking sheep they are IMO. It's bullshit I have to put up with being a scuba diver and seeing all these tourist scuba divers that have no respect for the environment.

I enjoy nature to get the fuck away from people, if people flock to nature then I might as well stay home.

Relos

Relos

• Legacy Members
  • 474 posts

I imagine there's quite a few hikers out there who think it's bullshit that they have to put up with all those touristy fuckers, climbing their mountains and leaving wrappers everywhere.

The fact that something has been commercialized doesn't mean that everyone involved is inherently a trendy demon. :P

boa

boa

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 3831 posts

I imagine there's quite a few hikers out there who think it's bullshit that they have to put up with all those touristy fuckers, climbing their mountains and leaving wrappers everywhere.

The fact that something has been commercialized doesn't mean that everyone involved is inherently a trendy demon. :P

Yes, but those are casualties of a war.

We should clearly just level all of the mountains, they're obstructing my view anyways.

Relos

Relos

• Legacy Members
  • 474 posts

What, from underwater? :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: social

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users