12 replies to this topic

VirlomiEntreri

VirlomiEntreri

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationAlabama

http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com/

Apparently DirectTV is going to remove The Weather Channel from its programs. I don't use DirectTV anymore, and I'm sure some of you never have, but I think we can all agree that quick and accurate weather information is important; whether that's in a tornado or forest fire or any severe weather prone area... this is a potentially life saving service that we (should) be able to agree is for the greater good of people.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/<-- Check out Star Citizen. Pledge!

boa

boa

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Here's a solution I could get behind:

Set up donations or a kickstarter for the weather channel to be privately funded.

Those that back it can have their "life saving" services.

Those that don't don't get access to it.

Don't waste taxpayer money by bombarding "Congress" and co. to "force" Directtv to keep an unprofitable channel.

If the weather channel is as critical as you think it is then why are their viewer numbers so low? The numbers don't lie when it comes to what Direct TV keeps and axes, people would rather watch Duck Dynasty and Kim Kardtrashian than the weather channel.

I really wish we could opt out of having our tax money go towards things we disagree with.

100% transparency and opt-in would be wonderful for our government.

$100 hammers would disappear, programs that are literally 100% waste would disappear.

Appropriations should be opt-in by default with enough taxes being taken out that there is "enough" funding.

I don't need the weather channel.

I will never be in a situation where i need the weather channel on TV.

If it's a potentially life saving service that people "might" need, then they should pay for it out of their own pocket.

I'm under no obligation to donate to charities who's mission statements I disagree with or who's products I don't believe in, and I believe that things like the weather channel should either be a for profit business or a charity that people can CHOOSE to fund.

/In before the shit storm claiming I don't care about people.

Battlenet: lIlIlIIllIll#1749

BeyondChaos

BeyondChaos

Cum Laude

• Members
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationTopsham, ME.

http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com/

Apparently DirectTV is going to remove The Weather Channel from its programs. I don't use DirectTV anymore, and I'm sure some of you never have, but I think we can all agree that quick and accurate weather information is important; whether that's in a tornado or forest fire or any severe weather prone area... this is a potentially life saving service that we (should) be able to agree is for the greater good of people.

No. Sorry. I look out my window. Plus Yahoo tells me what is happening tomorrow.

I don't have a phone book either. ;D

LZTgBQL.jpg?217eAl7F.jpg?4nWo2Gha.jpg?4s1HW4zD.jpg?1JV8gYVk.jpg?1

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company - Mark Twain

When you're born you get a ticket to a freak show. When you're born in America you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Extremeprejudice

Icalasari

Icalasari

• Legacy Members
  • 876 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Here's a solution I could get behind:

Set up donations or a kickstarter for the weather channel to be privately funded.

Those that back it can have their "life saving" services.

Those that don't don't get access to it.

Don't waste taxpayer money by bombarding "Congress" and co. to "force" Directtv to keep an unprofitable channel.

If the weather channel is as critical as you think it is then why are their viewer numbers so low? The numbers don't lie when it comes to what Direct TV keeps and axes, people would rather watch Duck Dynasty and Kim Kardtrashian than the weather channel.

I really wish we could opt out of having our tax money go towards things we disagree with.

100% transparency and opt-in would be wonderful for our government.

$100 hammers would disappear, programs that are literally 100% waste would disappear.

Appropriations should be opt-in by default with enough taxes being taken out that there is "enough" funding.

I don't need the weather channel.

I will never be in a situation where i need the weather channel on TV.

If it's a potentially life saving service that people "might" need, then they should pay for it out of their own pocket.

I'm under no obligation to donate to charities who's mission statements I disagree with or who's products I don't believe in, and I believe that things like the weather channel should either be a for profit business or a charity that people can CHOOSE to fund.

/In before the shit storm claiming I don't care about people.

Just because people skip it in favour for reality tv doesn't mean it isn't extremely helpful and can save lives

It's really helpful during Tornado season, warning us of floods, and so on

Although I have to admit that its use is dying out due to cell phones and such, which can keep people updated no matter where they are and even if the power is out, and I guess one cannot say, "What about the poor?" as... TV IS a luxury item...

Maybe they should adapt? Switch to apps and online?

boa

boa

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,425 posts

Just because people skip it in favour for reality tv doesn't mean it isn't extremely helpful and can save lives

It's really helpful during Tornado season, warning us of floods, and so on

Although I have to admit that its use is dying out due to cell phones and such, which can keep people updated no matter where they are and even if the power is out, and I guess one cannot say, "What about the poor?" as... TV IS a luxury item...

Maybe they should adapt? Switch to apps and online?

That's the thing, people are more likely to have a cell phone or cheap laptop with internet rather than Dish TV. Not to mention the weather channel isn't the only channel that shows tornado warnings. Hell even the radio and regular news channels fulfill the exact same functions.

This is about saving a useless channel and this "petition" is going to waste taxpayer money in an effort to save it because of their carpet bomb campaign.

Also kind of ironic that people will spend all this time and money in order to "save" lives, when the money/time could be spent actually saving lives...

Lawson

Lawson

• Legacy Members
  • 212 posts
I cant ever think of ever turning to the weather channel for my emergency weather needs. Local networks typically always have continuous warnings either up in the corner of the screen with "Tornado watch/warning" or "Severe Storm", "Tsunami watch" etc... depending on what part of the country I lived in. On top of that theres also usually running ticker or the EAS system.
  • Nny likes this

Icalasari

Icalasari

• Legacy Members
  • 876 posts
  • LocationAlberta

That's the thing, people are more likely to have a cell phone or cheap laptop with internet rather than Dish TV. Not to mention the weather channel isn't the only channel that shows tornado warnings. Hell even the radio and regular news channels fulfill the exact same functions.

This is about saving a useless channel and this "petition" is going to waste taxpayer money in an effort to save it because of their carpet bomb campaign.

Also kind of ironic that people will spend all this time and money in order to "save" lives, when the money/time could be spent actually saving lives...

Like I said later in my post, maybe they should just give up on the channel and switch to online

Ashling

Ashling

• Legacy Members
  • 261 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over that way

The Weather Channel is built for mums. 

Need a month forecast ('cause they're *always* accurate), don't know how to turn a computer on, weather channel to the rescue!

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 2,517 posts
  • LocationArkham Assisted Living Center & Shoggoth Refuge

Or you could go to the source:  noaa.gov  This is where all local weather reports, national weather reports (like the weather channel and weatherbug.com) get their information.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

NanoScream

NanoScream

Hazzuh!

• Members
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationSomewhere that is witty

No. Sorry. I look out my window. Plus Yahoo tells me what is happening tomorrow.

I don't have a phone book either. ;D

You truly are a barbarian, Adam. Why in the world would you keep using Yahoo?
  • BeyondChaos likes this

tumblr_mpu2s2rFTS1szx1oxo1_500.gif

A smart man will always let the female win, unless it's your sister, then you beat that bitch like a pinata.

boa

boa

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1,425 posts

You truly are a barbarian, Adam. Why in the world would you keep using Yahoo?

Even Yahoo employees barely use Yahoo...

http://allthingsd.co...l-dogfood-memo/

• NanoScream likes this

Menocu

Menocu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

The Weather Channel is much like Joss Whedon TV shows.  Has a loyal fanbase but not really enough to support itself.  And it occasionally kills of people you might like.

Presea

Presea

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 2,708 posts

http://www.weather.gov

done :D

Heres the kicker with the weather channel on satellite anyway: it doesn't provide local weather data.  It's totally useless compared to the weather channel you get on cable.  I just see stupid satellite images every interval which is supposed to be the local forecast.  At least it was that way for me.

So yeah, nothing really lost.  You don't get those emergency beeps and stuff that cable does too.

1AvQw.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tv, weather channel, directtv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users