Recent Topics
Next Previous
Photo

Flint officials charged with involuntary manslaughter over management of water system

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Bisected8

Bisected8

puella ridicula viridisque

• Legacy Members
  • 3374 posts
  • LocationThe home of red cheese

http://www.aljazeera...5020322419.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-40278565

The charges relate to the death of 85-year-old Robert Skidmore from Legionnaires' disease in December 2015. The attorney general's office said "the charges allege failure to notify and lack of action to stop the outbreak allowed the disease to continue its spread through Flint's water system".

• Bearwhale likes this

Brutter

Brutter

The Thunder's Roar

• Legacy Members
  • 1462 posts
  • LocationUnderground

I heard this a couple days ago and asked myself, "who's the victim? No one's actually died yet." Forgetting the gentleman who while alive was blaming the hospital he was in for his infection. Guess his survivors decided to go a different route. Personally I'd have kept after the hospital, they might have the coins to pay out. Living in this area long enough I know that's the real end game plan those folks have.

Bisected8

Bisected8

• Legacy Members
  • 3374 posts

I heard this a couple days ago and asked myself, "who's the victim? No one's actually died yet." Forgetting the gentleman who while alive was blaming the hospital he was in for his infection. Guess his survivors decided to go a different route. Personally I'd have kept after the hospital, they might have the coins to pay out. Living in this area long enough I know that's the real end game plan those folks have.

You do realise that they're being prosecuted by the state (and at the decision of the legal system), not sued?

EDIT: Also, the connection between the water and his death wasn't found until after he died, so of course he wasn't blaming it.

witsd

witsd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9127 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

I don't see how they are going to make this one stick.

Legionella is found in all water systems, in differing concentrations. It's usually only an issue when it is allowed to proliferate within a tank, a dead end of pipe or similar system.

How are they going to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was the higher levels of Legionella in the water that was the crucial factor, and not some hazard relating to the gentleman's own water system?

"was thought to have been linked" isn't going to fly.

We've already boiled communication down to acronyms, emoticons and shrtnd sntnces, all of which are simply more efficient ways of transmitting the PLEASE AUTHENTICATE MY EXISTENCE signal from the fragile core of our souls out into the wider world. Maybe the next stage is to reduce it all down to a single noise. I'd favour a short, electronic beep, not unlike the noise emitted each time Pac-Man eats a dot.

Bisected8

Bisected8

• Legacy Members
  • 3374 posts

I don't see how they are going to make this one stick.

Legionella is found in all water systems, in differing concentrations. It's usually only an issue when it is allowed to proliferate within a tank, a dead end of pipe or similar system.

How are they going to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was the higher levels of Legionella in the water that was the crucial factor, and not some hazard relating to the gentleman's own water system?

"was thought to have been linked" isn't going to fly.

The fact that there were other cases which already were linked to the water supply being mismanaged, I assume (he was just the only fatality in the outbreak).

The engineering professor says he recreated the crisis in his lab this winter and found that the corrosive water created an environment where bacteria could flourish.

The tl;dr being: The new water supply was corrosive (and wasn't treated to fix this). This caused it to leach lead from lead pipes (causing lead poisoning) and leach iron from iron pipes (creating an iron rich environment which the bacteria thrived in, as well as removing disinfecting agents).

witsd

witsd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9127 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

The fact that there were other cases which already were linked to the water supply being mismanaged, I assume (he was just the only fatality in the outbreak).

The tl;dr being: The new water supply was corrosive (and wasn't treated to fix this). This caused it to leach lead from lead pipes (causing lead poisoning) and leach iron from iron pipes (creating an iron rich environment which the bacteria thrived in, as well as removing disinfecting agents).

But there's still that word 'likely' in the title. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that that was exactly what happened and I hope there's a conviction, I just doubt that there will be one.

We've already boiled communication down to acronyms, emoticons and shrtnd sntnces, all of which are simply more efficient ways of transmitting the PLEASE AUTHENTICATE MY EXISTENCE signal from the fragile core of our souls out into the wider world. Maybe the next stage is to reduce it all down to a single noise. I'd favour a short, electronic beep, not unlike the noise emitted each time Pac-Man eats a dot.

Brutter

Brutter

The Thunder's Roar

• Legacy Members
  • 1462 posts
  • LocationUnderground

If they can make the criminal bits stick it opens the door for the civil bits the family can cling onto. 

I'm tired of folks blaming the fed and explaining why it's stupidity on the lowest levels and a lot of buck passing. If my laptop hadn't dumped itself I had a four page doc I was working on to just copy paste from. 

Long run, people weren't happy with the first rounds of flint water cause it wasn't crystal clear. So the city council decided to dump in more cleansing chemicals. They also dumped a PSA stating not to drink the shit straight at that point. The extra cleany bits plus the increased pressure from having the plant on site rather than 70+ miles away in the D caused the pipe break down. But no one ever wants to go after the CC who made the move when it went down cause after the fan was hit with the shit they all started screaming it was the Emergency Managers fault. Of course that dude was an official of the state so everyone popped on the governor even though that dude had jack shit to do with any of the decisions that were made. Hell even the EM they were jumping on had nothing to do with it since all the shit went down three EMs before him. Well techniquely two cause the first one got bumped then his replacement left and he got put back in.

Point is these folks on this water council weren't really even in play when all the decisions with the water were made, but since the buck can be passed they're the ones getting fucked. Hell even if they were, the decisions where made by the CC not these folks. The CC needs the heat, not the people that are getting it.

End rant

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users