• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9091 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Boffins create substance with negative mass.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-39642992

We've already boiled communication down to acronyms, emoticons and shrtnd sntnces, all of which are simply more efficient ways of transmitting the PLEASE AUTHENTICATE MY EXISTENCE signal from the fragile core of our souls out into the wider world. Maybe the next stage is to reduce it all down to a single noise. I'd favour a short, electronic beep, not unlike the noise emitted each time Pac-Man eats a dot.

Kris

Kris

Deliciously British

• Legacy Members
  • 6352 posts
  • LocationThe North
Someone has blown the Sentynel horn.
  • Wyzrd likes this

Readout

Readout

Leader of the resistance

• Legacy Members
  • 6764 posts
  • LocationThe Deep North

"Physicists have created a fluid with "negative mass", which accelerates backwards when pushed."

"Scientists today have announced a brand new FTL drive. Unfortunately, the pilot testing it accidentally knocked the rear-view mirror out of place and reversed into an inter-space police ship because he couldn't see where he was going. When asked why they didn't just install the engine in backwards, NASA was reported as mumbling quietly about it just simply being wrong. Fortunately, leading manufacturers have announced that they will be placing a camera in the boot in the next model spaceship, meaning that pilots can see where they are warping on the sat nav screen."

• Sammo909 and VirlomiEntreri like this

The "L" stands for "Value".

Nobody can hear the sarcasm in your voice when you type. Which is why they invented teal.

Readout's list of done-to-death-and-beyond topics: Feminism, Sexism, Social Justice Warriors, Racism, Trump vs Clinton.

Sentynel

Sentynel

• Legacy Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationUK

Another day, another set of hilariously misleading science news reporting.

The key word helpfully dropped by the reporting here is "effective". The first line of the abstract reads as follows: "A negative effective mass can be realized in quantum systems by engineering the dispersion relation." We're very much not talking about the mass in the strict inertial/gravitational mass sense; this is not a paper about tachyons, antigravity, or anything else similarly exciting implied by true negative mass.

The concept of effective mass really comes from saying "Newton's second law states F = ma; however, there are plenty of weird real systems in which that simple relation does not hold. I have one of those weird systems; I'm going to call the coupling constant between F and a in this case the 'effective mass' because it replaces m in Newton's second law". So in this case, they've produced a system where the direction of a is actually opposite to F, which gives you a negative effective mass. But it doesn't bear any particular relationship to actual mass. What's really going on here is just a quirk of wave mechanics (remember, dealing with quantum systems, everything is a wave); it's certainly a cool finding if you're a condensed matter physicist, but it's in no way worthy of the breathless headlines.

I dug up a prepub copy of the paper on arXiv, and the first line of the abstract reads "Negative mass can be realized in quantum systems by engineering the dispersion relation." Note that "effective" is only introduced in the publication version of the abstract, presumably due to a reviewer saying "don't you think that's a bit misleading". I suspect it's been deliberately spun in press releases to elide the distinction between effective mass and actual mass, and therefore get media attention. Sigh.

• Tarnagh, Readout, MooSE and 2 others like this

Presea

Presea

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 4798 posts

Shoot an object with a velocity of 50% the speed of light out of a spaceship flying at 51% the speed of light.

FTL travel solved :D

obviously doesn't work that way, but still

zrV2Ywm.gif

Kris

Kris

Deliciously British

• Legacy Members
  • 6352 posts
  • LocationThe North
Sentynel came out to answer, congratulations everyone spring has finally arrived and we don't have another eternity of hilarious Bill Murray antics!

On second thought I'll take Bill Murray.

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8766 posts
  • LocationA German no longer in Switzerland

Another day, another set of hilariously misleading science news reporting.

The key word helpfully dropped by the reporting here is "effective". The first line of the abstract reads as follows: "A negative effective mass can be realized in quantum systems by engineering the dispersion relation." We're very much not talking about the mass in the strict inertial/gravitational mass sense; this is not a paper about tachyons, antigravity, or anything else similarly exciting implied by true negative mass.

The concept of effective mass really comes from saying "Newton's second law states F = ma; however, there are plenty of weird real systems in which that simple relation does not hold. I have one of those weird systems; I'm going to call the coupling constant between F and a in this case the 'effective mass' because it replaces m in Newton's second law". So in this case, they've produced a system where the direction of a is actually opposite to F, which gives you a negative effective mass. But it doesn't bear any particular relationship to actual mass. What's really going on here is just a quirk of wave mechanics (remember, dealing with quantum systems, everything is a wave); it's certainly a cool finding if you're a condensed matter physicist, but it's in no way worthy of the breathless headlines.

I dug up a prepub copy of the paper on arXiv, and the first line of the abstract reads "Negative mass can be realized in quantum systems by engineering the dispersion relation." Note that "effective" is only introduced in the publication version of the abstract, presumably due to a reviewer saying "don't you think that's a bit misleading". I suspect it's been deliberately spun in press releases to elide the distinction between effective mass and actual mass, and therefore get media attention. Sigh.

I think I love you physics. Do you think physics can join us in the new forums once we migrate?

"The Germans dive deeper – but they come up muddier"

Wickham Steed

Sentynel

Sentynel

• Legacy Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationUK

I think I love you physics. Do you think physics can join us in the new forums once we migrate?

I suppose I shall go where the threads about silly science news articles go.

• wistd and Axeman like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news, clickbait title, no, calling sentynel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users