211 replies to this topic

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9110 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Very early to say anything for certain http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39355940

A car may have hit >5 pedestrians, a police officer may have been stabbed with a large knife and shots appear to have been fired (possibly by police).

We've already boiled communication down to acronyms, emoticons and shrtnd sntnces, all of which are simply more efficient ways of transmitting the PLEASE AUTHENTICATE MY EXISTENCE signal from the fragile core of our souls out into the wider world. Maybe the next stage is to reduce it all down to a single noise. I'd favour a short, electronic beep, not unlike the noise emitted each time Pac-Man eats a dot.

Readout

Readout

Leader of the resistance

• Legacy Members
  • 6764 posts
  • LocationThe Deep North

Feeling quite happy about my choice not to move to London right now...

The "L" stands for "Value".

Nobody can hear the sarcasm in your voice when you type. Which is why they invented teal.

Readout's list of done-to-death-and-beyond topics: Feminism, Sexism, Social Justice Warriors, Racism, Trump vs Clinton.

Kris

Kris

Deliciously British

• Legacy Members
  • 6358 posts
  • LocationThe North

I mean, I think about that every time I visit the place. And the rest of the time as well.

Bearwhale

Bearwhale

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1034 posts
  • LocationNovi, MI
I actually would prefer living in London to the insanity that's happening in the US right now. But I would never be able to finance a move there... plus I'm not sure how my backwards-Yankee ways would go over across the pond.

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9110 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Because there would have been a higher chance of you dying in a normal traffic-related incident or a pollution-related asthma attack than there is currently?

I assume it can't be because of the tiny risk posed by terrorists...

After adjusting for population, wouldn't that be like saying 'I'm glad I don't live in Finland, what with all those* bear attacks.

*'all those' being practically none, I'm guessing.

We've already boiled communication down to acronyms, emoticons and shrtnd sntnces, all of which are simply more efficient ways of transmitting the PLEASE AUTHENTICATE MY EXISTENCE signal from the fragile core of our souls out into the wider world. Maybe the next stage is to reduce it all down to a single noise. I'd favour a short, electronic beep, not unlike the noise emitted each time Pac-Man eats a dot.

Squishy

Squishy

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 2011 posts
  • LocationIreland

I actually would prefer living in London to the insanity that's happening in the US right now. But I would never be able to finance a move there... plus I'm not sure how my backwards-Yankee ways would go over across the pond.

I have friends who recently moved over there. They're both junior level, but in fairly well paying jobs. They live an hour and bit by train to work (anything from an hour to two by car, due to traffic) and they're sharing a horrible little house with 4 other people, which they can barely afford.

Life in London is pretty rough unless you're making a seriously large amount of money. Even housing-crisis Dublin, which I'm moving to soon, is less expensive than London. And it's a small enough city that I could get away with living on the outskirts and driving to work.

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9110 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

I have friends who recently moved over there. They're both junior level, but in fairly well paying jobs. They live an hour and bit by train to work (anything from an hour to two by car, due to traffic) and they're sharing a horrible little house with 4 other people, which they can barely afford.

Wow. It can certainly be tough (I had a 50 minutes commute), but that seems excessive, especially if they are fairly well paid.

If they need any advice on areas to live, let me know...

Readout

Readout

Leader of the resistance

• Legacy Members
  • 6764 posts
  • LocationThe Deep North
No, I'm not worried about being killed by a terrorist.

I'm worried about having to deal with hyper-reactionary bullshit created by people who are worried about being killed by terrorists.

Also being able to afford something bigger than a box. And food.
  • wistd and Bisected8 like this

Nobody can hear the sarcasm in your voice when you type. Which is why they invented teal.

Readout's list of done-to-death-and-beyond topics: Feminism, Sexism, Social Justice Warriors, Racism, Trump vs Clinton.

Borzislav

Borzislav

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThat place on Earth... You know, the tricky one...

Some more coverage, with videos and pictures.

Viewer discretion advised...

http://www.reuters.c...r-idUSKBN16T1Y5

Squishy

Squishy

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 2011 posts
  • LocationIreland

Wow. It can certainly be tough (I had a 50 minutes commute), but that seems excessive, especially if they are fairly well paid.

If they need any advice on areas to live, let me know...

They live where they are because its roughly in the middle of their respective workplaces. Probably more a case of circumstance than a true reflection of the cost of living there, but then again other friends I have over there are much better paid and aren't a whole lot better off. My standards are possibly a little high though - I know that I can't stand to live in a room where I can touch both walls from my bed, and the social scene doesn't appeal to me a great deal. I like my quiet time; living outside of the city and commuting in seems like a much nicer way to live than living in a shoebox in the middle of all the hubbub.

Though, if you would send me on a list of decent areas around London, I'm sure my friends would be able to make use of it.

Bisected8

Bisected8

puella ridicula viridisque

• Legacy Members
  • 3374 posts
  • LocationThe home of red cheese

Apparently the officer who was stabbed has died. :(

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8766 posts
  • LocationA German no longer in Switzerland

From the title and the fact that it was opened by witsd, I was expecting some political joke. Too bad I was wrong.

Stuff like this is really bad. While the actual risk for the average citizen is, as you guys pointed out, practically non-existent, the political consequences are often dire. Not only because it favors general law-and-order policies (like more surveillance), but also because of the unfortunate symbolism of possible local reactions like having swathes of heavily armed troops guarding the parliament for ever onward.

• wistd and Bisected8 like this

"The Germans dive deeper – but they come up muddier"

Wickham Steed

Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Legacy Members
  • 3241 posts
Three dead thus far, not counting the attacker who was also killed. Over a dozen injured, final numbers not in yet for either tally.

http://www.foxnews.c...eports-say.html

It seems like the attacker was some white finnish guy who was part of some rare sect of Buddhists who advocate for living more in harmony with nature and...

Oh no wait... no, sorry. Got my cue cards mixed up.

It was some brown/black muslim guy, born in the UK. He also had a long history of preaching hatred of the nation that supported and housed him.

https://www.google.c...644626.html?amp

Readout

Readout

Leader of the resistance

• Legacy Members
  • 6764 posts
  • LocationThe Deep North
Frankly, at the point where he's a murderer and a terrorist, the fact that he's also ungrateful is a little irrelevant, don't you think?
  • Bisected8 likes this

Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Legacy Members
  • 3241 posts
Yes and no.

"Homegrown" terrorism always seems like adding insult to injury to me.

Its the difference between being murdered by some random asshole from off the street versus someone who you chose to let live in your house and eat your food.

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9110 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Though, if you would send me on a list of decent areas around London, I'm sure my friends would be able to make use of it.

Let me know roughly where they work, and I'll see what I can do.

"Homegrown" terrorism always seems like adding insult to injury to me.

Its the difference between being murdered by some random asshole from off the street versus someone who you chose to let live in your house and eat your food.

Nah, that would be a refugee who has asked to come in, been allowed to stay and who has then gone on to do bad things.

If they were born here, they probably understand how shitty things are a lot better than your 'outsider' terrorist. It actually makes their actions more understandable (not more excusable) for me.

Bisected8

Bisected8

• Legacy Members
  • 3374 posts

Three dead thus far, not counting the attacker who was also killed. Over a dozen injured, final numbers not in yet for either tally.

http://www.foxnews.c...eports-say.html

It seems like the attacker was some white finnish guy who was part of some rare sect of Buddhists who advocate for living more in harmony with nature and...

Oh no wait... no, sorry. Got my cue cards mixed up.

It was some brown/black muslim guy, born in the UK. He also had a long history of preaching hatred of the nation that supported and housed him.

https://www.google.c...644626.html?amp

I think I should point out that that article now says that he's not the guy (presumably the guards at the prison he's serving time in have alibied him).

Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Legacy Members
  • 3241 posts
Well, thats good... perhaps. Shitty reporting though.

I blame Witsd. He said the independent was decent.

(I do not actually blame witsd)

Bisected8

Bisected8

• Legacy Members
  • 3374 posts

Well, thats good... perhaps. Shitty reporting though.

Well, the original article did frame it as speculation, didn't it?

Personally, I blame Dr. Zoidberg.

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9110 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Well, that's good... perhaps. Shitty reporting though.

It was kinda decent once.

Left wing newspapers go nuts when there's a right wing governmnet though. Still, the i has the best crossword.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news, terrorism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users