• Please log in to reply
1501 replies to this topic

Readout

Readout

Leader of the resistance

• Legacy Members
  • 6764 posts
  • LocationThe Deep North
Good and bad, of course, are welcome here.

Hilariously awful attempts to twist one into the other are also definitely welcome.

My first contribution: Inauguration crowd: real or imaginary. You decide!
  • Axeman likes this

The "L" stands for "Value".

Nobody can hear the sarcasm in your voice when you type. Which is why they invented teal.

Readout's list of done-to-death-and-beyond topics: Feminism, Sexism, Social Justice Warriors, Racism, Trump vs Clinton.

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 8664 posts
  • LocationArkham Assisted Living Center & Shoggoth Refuge

He's full of shit and anyone that's not blindly defending him knows this. For however long we're stuck with the asshole any news that doesn't agree with him or paints him negatively, regardless of truth, is going to be "fake news." 

He did manage one thing today, though. He was rejected by more women, on a global scale, than any other man in the history of ever.

ETA: His son Barron looks to be the only bright spot in an otherwise depressing time. Trump getting upstaged by his son playing peek-a-boo was the best thing that came out of Friday. Barron has also been the only person on stage to have the good grace to register shock at something ignorant his father said on the campaign trail. I have hopes for that boy.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Maybe we should make a universal rule that teal is now the sarcasm colour.

zerocnc

zerocnc

Forum Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1734 posts

He did manage one thing today, though. He was rejected by more women, on a global scale, than any other man in the history of ever.

Don't be so naive, the world hasn't ended... yet.

Also, Hitler still manages for both men and women.  And the health care in the US is sexist towards men when it comes to jobs.

Riven_zps8094ee18.pngyoutubeSig_zps377ac3a8.pngTwitch_zps80160af7.png

Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Legacy Members
  • 3241 posts

• kelarius, Vn70072 and boa like this

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 8664 posts

Don't be so naive, the world hasn't ended... yet.

From this point on, every day we don't launch the nukes is a blessing I didn't expect to have.

<ignoring the hitler bit and going straight to>:  And the health care in the US is sexist towards men when it comes to jobs.

Wut?

• boa likes this

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

zerocnc

zerocnc

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 1734 posts

From this point on, every day we don't launch the nukes is a blessing I didn't expect to have.

Wut?

80% of the health care jobs belong to women; 20% of it belongs to men.  This is where the saying "go play support woman" comes from.  On a side note, women don't belong in the kitchen because men are statistically better cooks then women; "the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Unless of course you plan to drill threw his stomach to rip out his heart, then that is fine and dandy.

Also, you're to young to live though the cold war.

"We need another Vietnam to thin out their numbers a bit." - Bart Simpson

Riven_zps8094ee18.pngyoutubeSig_zps377ac3a8.pngTwitch_zps80160af7.png

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 8664 posts

Well now I know you're just messing with me. I definitely lived through the Cold War. Really not looking forward to repeating it. Worse, a "hot" war. 

"We need another Vietnam to thin out their numbers a bit." - Bart Simpson

I thought that was part of the point in having "boots on the ground."  :/

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 8766 posts
  • LocationA German no longer in Switzerland

I recently found a possible explanation why Putin is such a successful politician at the moment: Now, more than ever, politics is based on lies, slander and propaganda. It has always been like that to a degree, but there has been a multifold increase in frequency, for the social media are a space where desinformation is self-propagating.

Our politicians have been all too quick to adapt to abusing that (I mean, just look at Trump and Clinton. Or at Obama. From social worker to clandestine drone lord...), but Putin has quite a headstart because he started off as a spy.

"The Germans dive deeper – but they come up muddier"

Wickham Steed

Hell Fury

Hell Fury

Infinitum terminus

• Moderators
  • 3543 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia, Perth

Barron has also been the only person on stage to have the good grace to register shock at something ignorant his father said on the campaign trail. I have hopes for that boy.

Huh? The video you link shows him reacting to someone in the crowd yelling "kill Obama". He's not reacting to anything his father said...

Considering that he's deescalating with Russia, who exactly do you think he's going to start a nuclear war with?

Please note that any statement I make automatically acknowledges exceptions, not all X are Y.

Please assume that I agree with you that not all X are Y.

Thank you.

Tarnagh

Tarnagh

Eldest

• Legacy Members
  • 8664 posts

Huh? The video you link shows him reacting to someone in the crowd yelling "kill Obama". He's not reacting to anything his father said...

Considering that he's deescalating with Russia, who exactly do you think he's going to start a nuclear war with?

He was still the only person on that stage with grace enough to register that it wasn't okay.

Depends on who he thinks has wounded his ego, I'd say. He's too ignorant and thin skinned to be where this country has put him.

Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Legacy Members
  • 3241 posts

Top comment on that video is actually correct, what the guy is saying is "Repeal Obama" which has actually been a fairly common rallying point among Trump supporters, and... you know... actually makes sense. 

The three posts above me are a fantastic example of Axeman's post in action:

"Look at this terrible thing Trump said!"

"Trump didn't say that, it was one of his supporters."

"Well its still bad."

"... and you know what, the supporter didn't even say it... it was just a misleading bit of anti-trump propaganda relying on confirmation bias, and the effect whereby telling people what they are going to hear influences what they actually hear."

• Borzislav likes this

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9096 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Top comment is actually correct, what the guy is saying is "Repeal Obama" which has actually been a fairly common rallying point among Trump supporters, and... you know... actually makes sense.

a) How can you be sure?

b) How do you repeal a person?

We've already boiled communication down to acronyms, emoticons and shrtnd sntnces, all of which are simply more efficient ways of transmitting the PLEASE AUTHENTICATE MY EXISTENCE signal from the fragile core of our souls out into the wider world. Maybe the next stage is to reduce it all down to a single noise. I'd favour a short, electronic beep, not unlike the noise emitted each time Pac-Man eats a dot.

Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Legacy Members
  • 3241 posts

a) How can you be sure?

b) How do you repeal a person?

a) Slow the video down, and listen to it about four or five times. There's a clear "Ru" sound at the beginning, and more syllables in play here than are required for 'kill'. And 'repealing' Obama's various works has been a fairly common rallying cry.

b) I presume the sentiment our enthusiastic and vocal supporter was actually trying to convey was "Repeal the affordable care act, along with many of the other 'executive orders' issued during Obama's term that are popularly thought to be unconstitutional by a large cross section of your supporter base Mr. Trump!!!"

I suspect he concluded that needed a little shortening though. It doesn't really lend itself well to shouting out, mid speech. 

• Axeman likes this

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 8766 posts

b) I presume the sentiment our enthusiastic and vocal supporter was actually trying to convey was "Repeal the affordable care act, along with many of the other 'executive orders' issued during Obama's term that are popularly thought to be unconstitutional by a large cross section of your supporter base Mr. Trump!!!"

How impolite of him not to include phrases like "Ladies and gentlemen", "minute of your time" and "Mr. President, sir".

• Wyzrd likes this

Wickham Steed

kelarius

kelarius

Forum Legend

• Legacy Members
  • 1248 posts
  • LocationSomeplace you are not.

Watching Conway today, I have to wonder how many different phrases the Trump Administration is going to generate for the word "Bullshit"

I lurk, therefore I am.

Axeman

Axeman

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 8766 posts

Watching Conway today, I have to wonder how many different phrases the Trump Administration is going to generate for the word "Bullshit"

It would be interesting to have an alternative reality at hand to compare it to the number the Clinton Administration would have generated...

Wickham Steed

Wyzrd

Wyzrd

• Legacy Members
  • 3241 posts

Practically none. Clinton was a media darling, and people follow what they see in the media.

Borzislav

Borzislav

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThat place on Earth... You know, the tricky one...

Well,

//conspiracy mode on, put your tinfoil hats on//

What if this is all just a fun play on having a clownish front-man while the policy is actually handled by some other players?

//conspiracy mode off, take your tinfoil hats off//

Now, I'm just gonna leave this here:

TL;DW(atch) => no one knows for certain anything yet, wait a few months till budget starts taking shape.

wistd

wistd

Forum myth

• Legacy Members
  • 9096 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

a) Slow the video down, and listen to it about four or five times. There's a clear "Ru" sound at the beginning, and more syllables in play here than are required for 'kill'. And 'repealing' Obama's various works has been a fairly common rallying cry.

I did try already, and I'm just not hearing the Ru. I'm not saying he didn't say it, I'm just surprised by your confidence one way or another.

I suspect he concluded that needed a little shortening though. It doesn't really lend itself well to shouting out, mid speech.

Why not "Repeal Obamacare!"?

My conclusion is that the man is either a violent moron or a regular flavour moron. Either way, there's not a lot to discuss, really.

We've already boiled communication down to acronyms, emoticons and shrtnd sntnces, all of which are simply more efficient ways of transmitting the PLEASE AUTHENTICATE MY EXISTENCE signal from the fragile core of our souls out into the wider world. Maybe the next stage is to reduce it all down to a single noise. I'd favour a short, electronic beep, not unlike the noise emitted each time Pac-Man eats a dot.

Lil Hippie

Lil Hippie

• Legacy Members
  • 616 posts

Well,

//conspiracy mode on, put your tinfoil hats on//

What if this is all just a fun play on having a clownish front-man while the policy is actually handled by some other players?

//conspiracy mode off, take your tinfoil hats off//

Now, I'm just gonna leave this here:

TL;DW(atch) => no one knows for certain anything yet, wait a few months till budget starts taking shape.

... I mean, that's not a conspiracy.  That's literally how the US government works. 

That came out a bit glib, but the office of the President does not actually allow Trump to do the majority of things he has promised.  I think it will be very entertaining in 2021 (assuming our houses still have a regular supply of electricity) to look back on this administration, and make a compilation of all the times Trump tried to do something and was shot down by his advisers / legislators / military staff / [insert person whose actual job it is to do that thing here].

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news, oh god oh god were all gonna, die

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users